Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sub-zero Saturday

I write this because of all the frustration that I had yesterday trying to figure out what to do. We were happily planting our garden yesterday in the backyard, when I decided to start making some dinner. I come in and open the freezer to get something out and to my dismay, everything had melted, or started melting. I guess that explains the strange clicking sound that we had been hearing come from that direction and could not determine what was wrong. Of course it is a Saturday afternoon and who is going to be able to get someone to come look at the fridge to see if it is fixable or not. After a few hours of trying to trouble shoot it, in person and on the internet, Todd determines it is either going to be really easily fixed or done with( leaning to the later), but with the temperature decreasing who has time to wait till monday or tuesday when a professional can come look at it and tell you for a $100 the same thing you knew in the first place. So we started to the store to get some dry ice (which we are still currently using). Meanwhile we had to get everything out of the freezer that was salvageable and get it to Todd's parents freezer. It is so frustrating having to throw out so much food that had gone bad. So needless to say we went and bought a new fridge last night since ours wasn't working but it won't be here till Wednesday. This morning as I was making breakfast trying to eat up the eggs, milk, buttermilk, etc..... ( i made a grand slam breakfast, we had never eaten so good), on fast sunday which I didn't realize until after the fact, I realized how dependent we are on our refridgerators. What would we do without them! But there may be a time when we all have to live without them. What are we going to do, besides have a big street bbq to get rid of all the meat? Leave your comments for any good ideas for all of us.

I also thought it would be fun to list 10 condiments that i try to keep in the refridgerator and 10 things I keep in the freezer all the time.

Fridge-
1. ketchup
2. emeril's deli mustard
3. Best foods mayo
4. dill pickles/relish
5. Franks hot sauce
6. taco sauce
7. minced garlic
8. masterpiece bbq sauce
9. wild coyote ranch (sooo good)
10. Some dude's fry sauce

Freezer
1. frozen veggies
2. hamberger
3.chicken
4. cool whip
5. bread crumbs
6. yeast
7. ice cream
8. hash browns
9. cheese
10. extra loaf of bread

They say you can tell a lot about a woman by the things she keeps in her purse, I bet the same goes for her pantry and fridge.

8 comments:

amy g said...

oh!! that's too bad! I hate it when things break down, especially expensive things! hmmm...I don't know what to do with the meat, maybe make some dinners and freeze them, I don't know. Have you ever looked at the lable on Some Dude's Fry Sauce?? It's kinda creepy, like a man slaughtered his family, that's what it looks like!! Good luck with your food situation!

Nadine said...

i was just talking to justin about something kinda like this story today. our ward chapel got broken into and all the computers got stolen. this was like 2 weeks ago and it is like chaos. i just mentioned how we have all these things right now...how would we live without them? i need to add refridgerator to the list, huh.

JoEllen said...

I love Some Dude's Fry Sauce! Despite whats actually in it! I hate when things break. We are so dependant on our refrigerators. We didn't have one when we first moved in and living out of a cooler totally sucks!

Tara Joy said...

I am so sorry about the broken down fridge. That is an unexpected expense nobody wants espcially with a new baby and new house. However, I know how the early settlers kept things cool. They used burlap coolers. It was a fully inclosed burlap case that you hung from a tree which had burlap shelves in it to store things. Then they got it completly wet. The wind helped to keep things cool inside it so they would not spoil so fast but nothing like our modern day conviences. We are so blessed.

Christene said...

I was just at a preparedness class the other day and they were talking about how it's important to have dried or otherwise perserved meats and veggies since the breakdown of the fridge is inevitable when disaster strikes. I'm sorry to hear about your appliance let down. Ours went out while I was pregnant with Peyton and needing a daily milk fix. It took a whole week before our new one came and I thought we would never survive. We are really blessed to have all these conveniences, aren't we?

Perry Family said...

Those are some of the same things in mine:) Too bad about the fridge...oh well, on the bright side you got a new one!!

jaesi said...

that bites. but a grand slam breakfast sounds good.
I miss the good ranch like wild coyote....you cant find that out here.
Ice cream and frozen meat is a must around here (not together of course :)

paulrph1 said...

Greg's ranch is a great choice and is a little spicier than the original. It is available at Costco. DAD