We have had a great time in our house watching the Olympics this year, such a good time that we have been quite sleep deprived, but we keep telling ourselves that this only happens every 4 years, so tonight I decided to pay a tribute to the history of Olympics. I was quite shock to see the first place that America held the summer Olympics. Here is goes:
-The first "recorded" Olympics took place in Olympia Greece in 776 BC
-It featured only one race called the stade which comparable to 210 M. race
-Participation only included free born Greeks
-Other events added later included races comparable to 400m and 1500 m, boxing, pentathalon, and wrestling
- All events took place on the same day until 472 BC, when they were spread out to 4-5 days
-The games persisted until 393 AD when Theodosius I ordered their abolition
- The modern day Olympics didn't start until 1896, which we are continuing today!
SITES OF THE SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES
1896 - Athens, Greece
1900 - Paris, France
1904 - St. Louis, Missouri USA
1906 - Athens, Greece*
1908 - London, England
1912 - Stockholm, Sweden
1916 - Not held**
1920 - Antwerp, Belgium
1924 - Paris, France
1928 - Amsterdam, Holland
1932 - Los Angeles, California USA
1936 - Berlin, Germany
1940 - Not held***
1944 - Not held***
1948 - London, England
1952 - Helsinki, Finland
1956 - Melbourne, Australia
1960 - Rome, Italy
1964 - Tokyo, Japan
1968 - Mexico City, Mexico
1972 - Munich, Germany
1976 - Montreal, Canada
1980 - Moscow, Russia
1984 - Los Angeles, California USA
1988 - Seoul, South Korea
1992 - Barcelona, Spain
1996 - Atlanta, Georgia USA
2000 - Sydney, Australia
2004 - Athens, Greece
*Games not recognized by the International Olympic Committee.
**Games cancelled due to World War I.
***Games cancelled due to World War II.
SITES OF THE WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES
1924 - Chamonix, France
1928 - St. Moritz, Switzerland
1932 - Lake Placid, New York USA
1936 - Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
1940 - Not held*
1944 - Not held*
1948 - St. Moritz, Switzerland
1952 - Oslo, Norway
1956 - Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy
1960 - Squaw Valley, California USA
1964 - Innsbruck, Austria
1968 - Grenoble, France
1972 - Sapporo, Japan
1976 - Innsbruck, Austria
1980 - Lake Placid, N.Y.
1984 - Sarajevo, Yugoslavia
1988 - Calgary, Alta.
1992 - Albertville, France
1994 - Lillehammer, Norway
1998 - Nagano, Japan
2002 - Salt Lake City, Utah USA
2006 - Turin, Italy
*Games cancelled due to World War II
Here is the website that I got the info from, in case you want to check it out.
http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/olympic.htm
Random Angie
9 years ago





9 comments:
Fun facts Rakel! We are so with you on being addicted to the Olympics--glad they're over so we can get some sleep--maybe! Did you do taht picture that's on the top of your blog--so cute! How did you do the edge & stuff? I need to get some sort of photo software.
I love your new header!! So cute!! Did you take that picture?? Sounds like you are having fun and staying hot:)!!
OMG!! I have gotten the worst sleep ever due to the Olympics, but I'm so glad, b/c they have been amazing this year! I'm obsessed with Michael Phelps...crazy swimmer! It has been really fun watching them, I'm sad they're practically over! I served in Sapporo Japan and I got to go to the places where they held some of the events, Ski Jump and the museum of Olympics when I was over there and it was really neat. That was a wonderful post and I loved that you put the years and places...so cool!
I woke up today depressed because the Olympics are over. I really felt bad when the put the torch out last night too. It was fun to read those facts. I went to St. Louis this summer and apparently, St. Louis was a hubub of activity back in the day. They held the world fair there for a long time and it was a really big deal.
Guess what I finally can get on your blog...and I even solved the problem myself!!! I went into the Control Panel and uninstalled a program that was causing the problem. Hopefully I don't mess something else up on my computer in the meantime! I love your blog!! So Cute! And thanks Todd for cleaning up my computer tonight!
RAKEL! so i was catching up on all of my friends blog and read alexis and gabes and then was scanning their friends and saw you!!! how funny is that!?! alexis and i have known eachother since middle school. how are you guys doing? i can't believe how big the baby is already! goll time flies!
ps~ my new neighbor saw the quiet book. i am now helping her and her 3 friends make them!!! lol
you guys need to update the BLOG!!!
Wow, I just LOVE the olympics. We're a little too invested. I seriously have a nervous breakdown everytime someone slips on the balance beam! But all that lost sleep and stomach tightening was so worth it! Go USA!!!
Post a Comment